True North Sports & Entertainment Limited (True North) is proud to confirm effective April 15th they have assumed management and operating control of Winnipeg’s historic Burton Cummings Theatre. Under a lease arrangement, from the Walker Theatre Performance Arts Group Inc., True North has agreed to provide its programming and entertainment services and expertise to the 107 year-old, 1,604 seat former vaudeville theatre.
“This is a very significant opportunity for us to expand our entertainment footprint in Winnipeg, said Kevin Donnelly, Senior VP & GM, MTS Centre. “The Burton Cummings Theatre is the windowpane to Winnipeg’s historic Exchange District. Along with our strategic partners, extensive promoter relationships and operating and service agreements, it is our intention to increase the quality of show traffic and the show experience for patrons while making basic strategic improvements to the facility. It is our hope that this initial rejuvenation effort will be noticed by our venue patrons, as well as the performers and clients backstage.”
In addition, True North is pleased to announce that Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries have agreed to enter into a strategic relationship with respect to True North’s vision to improve the Burton Cummings Theatre as well as share procurement, referral and event calendar management between the two organizations and their entertainment assets.
“We are excited by the chance to continue to show our support for Winnipeg’s vibrant culture and entertainment scene, and assist in this bold new effort to enhance the Burton Cummings Theatre,” said Winston Hodgins, President & CEO of Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries. “Our ongoing commitment to Arts and Entertainment, plus our own entertainment programming will be enhanced by this strategic affiliation with nationally recognized entertainment industry leaders True North Sports & Entertainment.”
A newly appointed board of the WTPAG Inc. has been constituted to help govern the transition of the theatre into this exciting new era of entertainment growth in Winnipeg.
The board members are as follows:
– Jim Ludlow, Board Chair (President & CEO, True North)
– Ginette Lavack Walters (CEO, Festival du Voyageur)
– Carole Vivier (CEO, Manitoba Film & Music)
– Wayne Jackson (former GM, Burton Cummings Theatre)
– Kenny Boyce (Manager, Films & Special Events, City of Winnipeg)
– Ross McGowan (CEO, CentreVenture)
– Paul Jordan, (COO, Forks North Portage Partnership)
– Wayne Perfumo (VP, Hospitality & Entertainment Services, MB Liquor & Lotteries)
– David Sherman, Past Chair (Partner, POP Sports & Entertainment)
– Kevin Donnelly, Treasurer (Senior VP, Venue & Entertainment, True North)